Serves 6, Prep time 10 min, Cook time 60 min
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Add the artichoke hearts and blanch for 3 to 4 minutes, until soft. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside . When cool enough to handle, coarsely chop the artichokes.
- In a heavy medium skillet, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons butter with the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until wilted and lightly colored, about 12 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook all together, stirring, for about 1 minute.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Butter a 9×13 inch (23×32 cm) baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together the bread, artichokes, onions, garlic, herbs, salt, pepper, lemon zest and ⅔ of the cheese. Whisk the eggs and milk together and pour over the mixture, tossing to dampen everywhere.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake until set and golden, about 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, let cool slightly, and serve.